Monday, January 18, 2016

World's Biggest Problems

Image by Judy van der Velden, CC BY
https://flic.kr/p/bd6TeP

In 2016, the world we live in is still faced with challenges everyday. Identifying some of these larger challenges are essential if I can list 20 things that bother me in my personal life. So, here is my list of what I personally believe are some of the world's biggest problems.

1) Unsafe drinking water

  • This is an issue that has been headlining news all over the world, and most recently right here in our own nation with the lead-contaminated drinking water in Flint, Michigan. Many families and countries live daily with unsafe drinking water conditions and this is negatively affecting their bodies, especially the children.
    • I feel like a practical solution, especially for our problem right here in the United States, would be first to stop ignoring the problem. Secondly, I feel like the technologies we already have implemented to keep water safe should be widespread. In 2016, water should not still be a threat to life. 
2) World hunger
  • Many third-world countries are faced with the struggle of finding ways to provide meals to their families. Children in Haiti, for example, eat dirt cookies (made from dirt, water and butter) to keep their stomachs full until the next meal comes around. It is a problem that has not been taken serious enough.
    • I believe sharing the technology, resources and teachings of agriculture can help at least make a difference in changing world hunger and ending it.
3) Armed Conflict 
  • This has become a serious issue, especially with the turmoil in the Middle East, and the mass shootings happening here on our own soil. Innocent people are dying daily due to gun related violence that could be prevented.
    • Stronger gun control laws are definitely key into minimizing this issue.
4) Police Brutality
  • This is an issue that has become more prevalent in our country over the last few years, however the brutality of police forces around the world are far worse than the tragedy we witness here in our own country. 
    • In order to help fix this problem, I feel like changes need to begin within the existing police forces in countries. They need to undergo some serious re-training. But, this problem does become more difficult when the police departments in several countries are directly influenced by higher government decisions.
5) Women's rights
  • This issue has led to terrible acts performed against women in several different countries. Women have been mutilated, embarrassed, murdered and are held lower in comparison to their male counterparts. This issue is much more widespread than the inequality that women face here in America.
    • This would have to change as far as stricter laws in countries preventing these actions from being carried out against women without punishment.
6) International Terrorism
  • We have a huge problem here in our world where every day now it seems that more and more people are fearful of an international terrorist attack. From the bombings in Paris, to even 9/11 which still replays in my mind since I lived in New York when it happened, this is a problem that we face. 
    • Ideally calming tensions between countries would be a way to change things, however it is easier said than done.
7) Homelessness rates increasing 
  • The number of families without adequate shelter or living conditions in this world are increasing daily. Here in America we have a rising number of families and people becoming homeless and an increase in homeless veterans.
    • I feel that instead of ripping down buildings for new Walmart's and big businesses, I feel that more affordable housing be built to help low-income families. Also, I feel like there should be more efforts for shelters to be created. 
8) Illegal drugs
  • This is a problem that has taken not only our country by storm, but has affected the would drastically. The sale and use of illegal drugs has become an epidemic and a trade that brings in more money than selling diamonds.
    • This is something that can be changed through reducing the availability of these drugs however more and more people are learning how to create new drugs everyday. 
9) Infectious diseases
  • Many diseases and illnesses, such as AIDS and even diarrhea, are killing millions of children and families around the world. 
    • These countries need better access to healthcare and some education needs to be shared as to how to prevent these things from spreading further. 
10) Climate change (global warming)
  • Our climate is definitely an issue and it is affecting us.
    • We need to do our best to bring less hazardous toxins into our environment and become more efficient with our resources, but this is not easy.

These are not all of what I feel the world's biggest problems are, however I feel that these are 10 that affect us the most currently. Where can we make a change?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all of the problems you listed! I especially wanted to point out your solution to the increased rates of homelessness. It literally made my jaw drop at how ironically true that is about the Walmart's and buildings! I think it was a very original response and you did great. If you'd like you should check out my blog post of those that I find to be the world's biggest problems: http://entreprevision.blogspot.com/2016/01/worlds-biggest-problems.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Breyenne,

    Your list of World Problems was a good one and very interesting to read. We had a few similarities including the points about drinking water, world hunger, disease and international terrorism. Your list covered major world problems that do need attention. I also liked how your solutions were very in depth and detailed. This was a very good list of problems.

    http://kbernabe.blogspot.com/2016/01/worlds-biggest-problems.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete