Image by Michael Coghlan, CC BY
https://flic.kr/p/93Coc9
Reflecting back on the past few weeks of this class, I can definitely say that time management was a skill that I had to use mainly to get many assignments done. Managing the time to complete assignments in which I am solely responsible for my own grade pressures you to get the job done. However, now that the course seems to be a lot more hands on than in previous semesters, finding time to record videos and get these interviews done is the key to success. I would also say I stick to my schedule that I created in regards to completing this course this semester because it helps me plan when I will accomplish certain assignments and that way I can allow myself more time to get complex assignments done. Around Week 6, I started to feel as if I were losing track because I did not complete a few assignments due to poor planning on my end. It was harder than I expected gathering respondents for customer interviews therefore I could not complete the assignment. However one thing that I can say definitely got me through is the fact that even when there is an assignment that is difficult and points are lost, there are more opportunities to make up those lost points which is something that has helped me. Also, getting back on track and being more proactive with assignments has helped me bounce back from what I went through. I do feel like I have developed a tenacious attitude this semester due to me trying to accomplish many things before graduation, however I can admit that this course has contributed to that as well.
Three tips I would give students after me in regards to fostering skills for tenacity and developing a tenacious mindset would be:
1) Stay organized and plan ahead
Having a plan can minimize stress with other classes and can help you prioritize assignments. Since we are in control of our own grade, it is best to have some sort of established order in which you accomplish them!
2) Even when it gets annoying, keep going!
Sometimes it can get rather repetitive, going out and interviewing people and uploading videos, however when you think about the experience you get from actually doing the assignments rather than the information you forced into your brain for an exam, it's way more valuable. I think that it is wonderful that we are actually treating the course as if we were entrepreneurs rather than just another class where you study for exams and that's that.
3) Know that there is always hope!
If you missed a couple of assignments because you could not figure it out, or you simply did not have time, there is always hope! With YellowDig, there is an opportunity to make up credit that you may have lost before.

I really enjoyed reading your post.
ReplyDeleteI can also attest to the struggles of trying to balance everything. (I work on the weekends, and I have extracurriculars and classes on the weekdays, so it's definitely a balancing act for me.)
I really enjoyed reading your tips, and I like the fact that you understand the implications behind having this class be solely your responsibility.
lol. When there isn't a way, there's always "YellowDig."
If you're bored, check out my reflection: http://laurenent3003.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html
Hi Breyenne,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I find I was in so many of the same situations as you when it comes to this course. I planned things out, and then a few assignments slipped through my fingers because of my poor time management, but then I was able to bounce back. You are right, there is no need to give up because there are so many opportunities to earn some points back.
I find I am back on track as well, and am being more proactive by looking a couple weeks ahead to make sure I have plenty of time to complete all assignments. We are definitely in control of our grade here!
If you have a chance, check out my halfway reflection.
http://myso-bloggedlife.blogspot.com/2016/02/half-way-reflection.html