Sunday, February 21, 2016

Free Money

Strategy
For this assignment, I figured that I would go either to the main campus of the University of Florida, or the parking lot of a shopping plaza, such as Butler Plaza or the Winn Dixie Plaza on 34th Street. I feel like these would be highly populated areas that would allow me a better success rate of giving away the dollar. I plan to approach more college-aged students because I feel like I can come across with a relatable point of giving away the dollar to help another college student out. I feel like in this instance, the best way for me to get the conversation started to to simply approach the person with a shock element of just asking them if they would like a dollar and see where the conversation goes from there. Some people may just say "sure!" and the conversation could very well be over. Some people may want to know more about why they are receiving the money. I feel like it is hard to predict how the conversation is going to go because no matter how well you plan for something, things always go unexpectedly. I believe that I would be able to give away at least two dollar bills in this assignment.


Reflection
Giving away the dollar was actually a lot easier than I expected it to be because I guess I was more afraid of approaching people than the actual conversations themselves. My predictions ended up mostly correct because college-age students were much easier to attract, public areas were much easier to find people and the shock element brought an element of happiness along with it. The assumptions I had of the conversations were correct too because I did not know what to expect during the conversations and I mostly tried to get a feel of how the participant was behaving toward me and fed off of that energy.

2 comments:

  1. Those videos were really interesting. It is neat how humans will react so differently to something unexpected like this. In my project I came up with a similar reason to tell people when they asked about the dollar. I said that I decided that there was a greater chance that someone other than me could use it. We seemed to have opposite predictions about how many people we could get to take the dollar bills (I thought all five people would take one), but you did not mention how many you were able to actually give away. On the whole, great post!
    Here is a link to mine: http://greywilliams3.blogspot.com/2016/02/free-money-expectations-and-reflections.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Breyenne!

    Your encounters seemed to flow very naturally and you did a great job overall. I think a lot of your success came from choosing a busy area and approaching them with a friendly attitude.

    This exercise was intimidating for me. I am currently studying abroad in Italy and was too overwhelmed to even attempt the task with a language barrier, so I commend your effort. Since I don’t have a link to share to the post, here’s a link to my overall blog if you’re interested: http://michellekelleyuf.blogspot.it

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete